Saturday 14 July 2012

Pompey - A club in crisis

With Rangers dropping to Div 3 yesterday, today my attention turns to Portsmouth FC, a club close to my heart! To be honest, this subject gets me so frustrated, this post will either short, or I will get on my soap box!!

I cannot believe that the League have once again sanctioned a 10 point penalty!! It is quite obvious, regardless of who wants to buy the club, that Trevor Birch has been working hard to save the future of the club, the club are down to 8 professionals, and 3 of them in the shape of Varney and Norris are on the verge of moves. Hopefully those 2 will follow Mullins' example of how to leave a club! Take note, former King Kanu and Tal Ban Haim!! Pre-season has been started with a bunch of kids, talented as some of them may be, this could ruin their careers as well if they aren't developed properly.

The argument of player contracts will always continue, and yes, if they signed a 3 year contract, then they are entitled to their earnings. However, I cannot go with the argument from us normal everyday people who compare it to our jobs - we don't get from £30,000 a week, so please tell me why they need a pay off? It's not like most players would be short of offers from other clubs around the world. If they, like most of us, were earning a few hundred quid a month, then fine, I could understand their argument.

I can understand Ben Haim's stance, but what has shocked me more is Kanu's stance, for someone who has played top flight football his entire career, with some world class clubs, he has had a great career, and probably earnt a bob or two! He was also loved at Pompey, the problem is that is now 'was loved', he could only be less liked if he turned out for a certain club down the road! Sort it out Kanu, is £300,000 really going to make such a difference to your life?

So, in the essence of fair play, and all things being equal, the League have decided that a club who could still be liquidated, and who have just 8 professionals, soon to be 6, is to start to the season on minus 10 points!! Best fair play decision I have seen for a while, not! 

Also, are the league not going to take any responsibility? Yes, I know Portsmouth have had some shocking owners, but don't each of them have to pass a due diligence test to prove they are capable of running a club! People might say that sounds like sour grapes, but I can understand one owner slipping through the net, but not 3 or 4 bad ones!!

All I know is Portsmouth will never die, and I don't care who wears the shirt, when I can get to a came up north, I will be there! See you in Carlisle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment