Saturday 1 September 2012

Laura Robson! Fair play!!

I know my blog is mostly football, but every now and again I can do other sports....lol....Apart from football, Cricket and Tennis are my sports, and I start to need to cover them more, especially with my team Hampshire having won the T20.

Anyway, for a long long time, more than I can remember, we have been waiting for a British female who can play tennis. Laura has actually been around for a while, and I think the emergence of Heather Watson has given her a gentle kick up the backside!

Still, no one expected the results she has had this week. On the 29th August, Laura came up against a former champion in Belgian Kim Clijsters, who was ranked at 23. Laura Won 7-6 (7-4) and 7-6 (7-5).

Up next was Li Na, another top player, and ranked at 9. Being typically British, we may well have expected the run to end here, especially when Li Na won the 2nd set, but fair play to Laura, she dug in and won 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2!

So, Laura becomes the 1st British female since Sam Smith in 1998 to reach the 4th round, and the 2nd week of the US Open! Up next on Sunday is 5th seed, and Aussie Sam Stosur! Now that is a test, but all you can do is your best, and this week will certainly help her seeding (and future sponsorship!!)

All the best Laura, and it is nice to see a Brit tennis player with some personality....not that anyone springs to mind with a lack of personality playing British tennis, or maybe there is....lol

No comments:

Post a Comment