Monday 25 June 2012

England Player Ratings Euro 2012

So, the tournament is over for England, so I have decided to rate how I thought the players did (just in case anyone is interested...lol)

Joe Hart - 7 - Had a couple of little wobbles, but on the whole he is a top keeper, and really has the potential to be world class, which he isn't far away from now! He most definitely has a presence in goal! The only problem with this position is the lack of backup and competition for Hart.

Glen Johnson - 7 - When Kyle Walker was ruled out, it was a shock that Johnson was picked over Micah Richards. We all know Johnson is a good wing back, and has the potential to be a good right midfielder, but as an out and out right back we are not sure! However, whilst I am not changing my mind about how I feel, I will say that he impressed me in this tournament, and for me, along with Terry, was arguable England's best defender.

Ashley Cole - 5 - I thought Cole had a poor tournament, and this was before his penalty miss (which has not played a part in his rating). I expected teams to attack Glen Johnson, thinking he was the weak link, but they didn't, they chose Cole! Cole just never seemed to get going, and I thought he was caught out of position far too often. Cole is much better then he has played this tournament, but I have no doubt he will carry on as England#s first choice left back.

John Terry - 7 - I am not a fan of Terry, but he has just gone about his job, doing nothing special, but being solid. For me, his performance in the first half against Ukraine was exceptional, but he has to take some responsibility for the mad 20 mins vs Sweden. He does lack pace, but you know with Terry he will give his all for England.

Joleon Lescott - 7 - Again nothing special, and won't let you down, and much like Jagielka and Cahill, he will always do well when filling in, but I get the feeling that is all he is doing - filling in for someone! Scored his 1st International goal against France!

Scott Parker - 6 - Solid again, and will always do you a job, but due to the lack of central midfielders, he wasn't able to rest! Consequently, the more the tournament went on, the more knackered he became! Again for me, he seems to be another player who is filling in a place! Maybe for someone like Wilshere once he is fit.

Steven Gerrard - 7 - Along with Johnson and Terry, they are the 3 players who came close to getting an 8! He did put in some quality crosses, and had 3 assists, but some of his passing was poor for a player of his standards. Again, due to the lack of central midfielders, we were unable to rest him from time to time, and it showed at times.

Ashley Young - 5 - I had him down as my potential player of the tournament for England, but after the France game, he just disappeared, and on the whole was disappointing. He never really got himself into any of the games to have an effect.

James Milner - 3 - for effort!! Sorry, but I am tired of people talking about him being a workhorse. Yes he is, but I would be a workhorse if I played for England! He offered nothing, end of!!

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - 6 - one for the future! After France, he didn't really play that much, but whilst he wasn't outstanding Vs France, he didn't disappoint, and he definitely seems to have a future with England. Only scored a 6 due to lack of playing time.

Theo Walcott - 7 - Not so sure he wants a supersub tag, or wants to be an impact player, but that is definitely the way he is going! He can drive you mad, as he is consistently inconsistent!! How long can we talk about his potential though? Still, if he is going to be an impact player, he is worth having!!!

Andy Carroll - 7 - I think he has contributed well, and did everything asked of him to suggest Roy will give him more opportunities. Scored with a quality header.

Danny Welbeck - 7 - Again, did everything asked of him, although was slightly surprising that he was more subdued when playing with his club team mate Rooney. Scored with a lovely flick Vs Sweden.

Wayne Rooney - 5 - Yes he scored Vs Ukraine, but he wasn't match fit, so was it a gamble worth taking? Was always going to be a hard decision on whether or not to leave him out, and I suppose with his talent, it was a risk worth taking, it just didn't work out.

Jordan Henderson and Jermain Defoe were the only other players to play, but can't really mark them as they only played minutes!!


No comments:

Post a Comment